Thursday, March 19, 2020

Day 3 - SkyLines from the French Lock-down: Hope


Salut, nos amis! (Hi, our friends!)  Greetings from France under lock-down!

Pretty flowers give me such a feeling of joy!
It's almost Spring.  There is sap rising in the trees and flowers are beginning to cover the fruit trees here in the south of France.  I'd love to be driving around taking photos of the orchards in bloom with a backdrop of the green Alberes foothills or the distant snow-covered Pyrenees Mountains.  But that's not going to happen this year.  The flowers in the village will have to do for my hungry camera.  We're under quarantine...


The Mini Daffodils at home
Day 3 - It started out sunny and warm.  I realized that when I threw off the covers and didn't rush to get my robe for breakfast.  Spring, I thought, it's only days away now.  The mini-daffs on the terrace were the herald a couple of weeks ago.  So bright and beautiful!  Like sunshine even on a cloudy day.  

I was somewhat awake by the time I got my cereal together and as the water began to heat up for coffee, I looked out of the window over the kitchen sink.  Once again, I saw a sign that winter has just about given a last gasp.  On the pretty stone wall of the house across from ours, the potato vine is covered in small white flowers.

The Potato Vine, "Jasmine Nightshade"
At least that's what I've always called it because that's what the flowers look like to me.  I'll have to go look up the botanical name later, when I add some photos to  this blog.  Or as I call them, these scribblings. 
 Ah, my scribblings, I do love to write!  I know I go on about things, especially about how lucky we all are to be alive and sharing this all through the medium of the internet and books.  But it makes me so happy and you all give me joy when you post and comment.

After breakfast, my partner and I dated our official papers for taking some exercise.  The news last night told us that without this sworn statement to explain what we were doing outside, along with some form of photo id would result in a fine.  The fine on Tuesday and Wednesday was 36-38 euros.  If we didn't carry our "Papers" today it has risen to135 euros and can go as high as 375, I suppose for repeat offenders.  Don't worry, we're carrying our papers!  
Stark reminder of the quarantine

But one look at the cafe where we've spent so many happy hours is a reminder that we are living under lock-down.  As we walked past two gendarmes who were giving advice or checking the papers of a fellow citizen, one of them spoke very politely to me and quietly said, "Madame, Vous êtes trop proche du Monsieur." ('M'mam. you are too close to the Mister)  We were the regulation meter apart but never argue with the law as my dad always said.  So, I said, "Merci, Monsieur" and moved another meter away from my partner.  
The empty street seems strange

We walked through basically empty streets.  This view looking back at the church was unusual because on a normal day, there would be neighbors discussing the weather, sports, the recent elections, and why it's taking so long for the work on their street to be finished!  (Seriously, this has been going on since last year, I can't imagine how much noise, dust, and mud they've had to put up with all this long while...)

Some say it's like living in a ghost town and I understand that feeling.  But the village is not deserted.  People looked out from windows, or from balconies, and terraces called out to us, "Bonjour Monsieur-Dame!"  (Hello Sir and Madame)  and we smiled at them and waved back, "Bonjour!"  And we wished each other, "Courage!" and "Bonne Journee" (Have a good day!)

Springtime promises
So,while we took our exercise, we were surrounded by inspiration.   Here is the courtyard across from the library - lovely!  We need to concentrate on the message of spring - after every hardship comes a rebirth. The fear around us is real.  It's cold like snow.  It's normal and it may help us stay safer by taking this seriously.  

But Spring will come.  It may take time... maybe longer than we think we can stand.  But we are stronger together.  Every day we have gives us a chance to think about the better times to come.  We must remember that in the face of adversity,  every one of us has some part that is unique, that is special, and is wonderful to share.  Let's make sure to keep that part of us at the fore and defrost those cold fingers of fear with the warmth of our human connection. 

I've been sitting on the terrace as I write this to you.  It's time to go inside and add the photos from my phone.  It's time to fix dinner and share thoughts with my partner and give thanks for another day.  Be strong, nos amis.  We are all together now in a way that we've never been before.  And if you are feeling a bit down, remember, I'm thinking of you and sending you wishes for strength and hope.

A demain!  (Until tomorrow!)

link to DAY 4

No comments:

Post a Comment