Saturday, March 21, 2020

Day 5 - SkyLines from the French Lock-down: Coffee

Bonjour Nos Amis! Quelle Belle Journée! (What a beautiful day!)
The library - glad we were there last Saturday for new books


It may not be as sunny as yesterday, but it's nice in the south of France.  It should be market day.  Of course, it isn't...

We woke and opened the shutters to discover that a light veil of pretty white clouds webbed the
I'm missing the social aspect, for sure!
blue sky.  The sun poked through time to time as we prepared our breakfast and discussed whether or not there would be a street market in the streets today.  
Our television news showed us a big market in the 16th arrondissement of Paris, with people practicing social distancing this morning, so we knew it was possible.  We'd even seen a bit of it at last week's market.

But Argèles-sur-Mer is not Paris.  Not even close.  Neither in distance nor population. They have a big clientele and our village is only about 10,000 people.  There are always more than our resident population as tourists come here year-round. 
However, it's pretty quiet at the moment.  Way more than it usually is in March and the build up to Easter.  We didn't think there would be a market here and fortunately, we are well stocked, even for fresh produce.  But we decided we would go check, as we did need to get out in the fresh air, buy a newspaper, and get a bit of exercise.


Before - our lively market
The neighbors were busy in our tiny quiet street just one block over from the church.  The clock rang eleven as we set out, shopping bag and newly dated and signed papers stating our intention to buy essentials. (Yes, a newspaper is considered an essential!)  We waved and said hello to one at a balcony, and another smoking from his first floor window.   I wonder if he's read the connection the Asians are seeing between higher mortality rates from this virus and smoking or being obese.  I'm guessing not or that he doesn't feel it's important.  

We were at the end of the block now and one lady was busy scrubbing a doorstep here while another walked her dog there. (Possibly a bit of connection there, I suspect!)  We all carefully sidestepped one another to keep a good distance between us.  Yes, even my partner and I are walking on opposite sides of the street.  Of course, the street is only about three meters wide...


Once we'd stepped out into le rue de la république, we knew there would be no market.  The
Before - elbow bumps
usually busy street was quiet.  The sausage man's stall is usually here.  The goat cheese stall is next.  Normally, you can buy fresh eggs, olives, olive oil, organic fruit and veg, or not-so organic but fresh and beautiful at several other stalls.  And the cafes with their closed doors and stacked chairs gave mute testimony that life is very different right now.  The only thing open was the church.  I saw people inside lighting candles.


That was when I thought of last Saturday.  Just one week ago.  The market had been busy.  People were being careful not to shake hands or give bisous, but we did go to market.  We sat in the cafes with our tables farther apart than normal.  I saw people giving elbow bumps or boot
kicks as ritual greetings.  That seemed like a lot longer ago than just one week!


I'm betting Madame Prez is satire

This morning, the streets were fairly empty, though there were more people out than yesterday.  The greengrocer, Elizabeth's was open and doing a good business.  We bought a newspaper at the newsagent's and listened to his pessimistic outlook on the days to come.  Then Y said that made him hungry enough to buy a croissant.  So we went to the bakery and he got in the line.  Since there were nine people ahead of him, it was a very long line!!

To avoid being too close, I walked down three doors and read all the book titles at Mag Press on the corner of La Route Nationale.  On an ordinary Saturday morning, this would have been a crowded spot.  Not today.  Four people were inside standing far apart in the line to buy newspapers, magazines, writing materials, tobacco products, or to play the lottery.

Ah... memories...
We headed home.  "Tu le veux?"  Y asked as he ripped off part of the golden, flaky croissant.  (You want some?)  He held it out to me.  I could smell the sweet buttery aroma.  My mouth said words they didn't really believe.  "Non, merci,"  I  answered.  I explained that of course, I love croissants.  I do want some, but I prefer to continue to lose weight after our tropical holiday at the beginning of the year.  He said he wanted the same thing.  I told him there was a difference - it was that he wanted to lose weight but he preferred to eat the croissant. He agreed and it was gone in two more bites.  And that's okay.  The dude is slim. 


Café at home... not the same
At home we settled down to read the newspaper.  And it hit me.  Jeez!  I miss the café!  I filled the stainless steel capsules we bought ourselves for Christmas.  The machine whirred.  And presto!  Cafe Y and R.  Thank goodness we have lots of biscuits to give it that finishing touch.  It's not the same, bien sur, but it's good.  We sipped and sighed appreciatively.  There is coffee.  As long as there is coffee, civilization will survive. 


Okay, nos amis, that's a bit silly, but we need to smile.  Now more than ever.  Don't let this get you down.  It is necessary.  My partner is putting on his running gear.  I say, I'll be right there.  He's asks, "Tu viens avec moi?"  (Are you coming with me?)  "Ha ha!  Non!"  I explain, I'm just coming down to close the door behind you.  I'm going to write my blog, work on my book, then play some guitar and piano.  If there's anytime left after that before making dinner crepes with you tonight, I'll do some aerobic dancing.  I started my day that way.  I'll be fine.  We each deal with the confinement in our own ways.  I may even have a second cup of espresso... at home.
The Place de la République now....



A demain, nos amis!  (Until tomorrow, our friends!)




Link to DAY 6




2 comments:

  1. Hi mon amie! Just got all subscribed and read all of your new blogs...love it, and you for starting back up doing what you do so well. I have missed your blogs as I followed them faithfully when you began 5 or more years ago - Yay!!! We all need your happy and interesting descriptions of your life in France - especially during this time. Thank you Robin!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salut Barbara! How wonderful to hear from you. I'm so glad that you find my scribblings fun. It gives me much pleasure too. Stay safe and hopefully we'll all have many more years of sharing to do. Bisous!

    ReplyDelete